Skip to main content

December 1, 2020

 Wy’east UUC

Tuesday, December 1, 2020



In Attendance:

Daniale (Moderator)

Lana (Vice Moderator)

Jocelyn (Treasurer)

Arianna (Secretary)

Mark (Member at large)

Craig (Minister)


  • Check-In
  • Review and approval of November 5th meeting minutes: Approved
  • Standard Reports:
    • Minister’s Report
      • Kentucky group is moving forward Craig’s proposal about including Islam in the UU sources.
      • Perhaps Craig could lead an Islam course at Wy’east so members understand why this is important.
      • Craig is enjoying attending various Wy’east events, especially RE popcorn theology.
      • See below for the full report.
  • Worship Committee Report
    • Trying to figure out how the digital experience we’ve created is working for people - a nearly complete survey will be going out soon.
    • Calendar is well mapped out through March with just a few openings.
    • We will be holding a Christmas Eve gathering, Jocelyn is leading.
    • Working on a lay-led service on love for Valentine’s Day.
    • Jolanda in the tech support has shifted the burden of the worship committee to improve group members’ experience.
      • She is interested in continuing to help as we transition to a possible hybrid model.
    • Lay-led services are getting positive feedback.
  • Social Justice Committee Report 
    • Going well
    • Planning several speakers for our Indigenous People’s focus
    • What is our capacity for sustained partnerships?
      • Original plan was 3. We have 2 now.
      • We could consider adding an Indigenous People-led organization.
  • RE Committee Report
    • Kate continues to make videos, and they are now shared on Facebook.
    • Attendance at family worship and social hour is light but rich. We have two regular attendees and some others have attended.
    • Popcorn theology is enjoyed by the handful of adults who have attended.
      • Maybe we could market it more to adults, and as a benefit, kids could get more drawn in.
    • There is new language in the worship associate script to bring attention to RE opportunities.
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Almost $10,000 in income
    • Almost $1,000 for special collection
    • Expenses are on track
    • Food justice fund will get used - to Hollywood Senior Center Thanksgiving and Lilac Meadows
    • Official report will be coming
  • Membership Committee Report *** see below
    • Jack’s service drew record numbers. The board could create a card to send thanks to Jack and the speakers. Lana will send an e-card.
  • Digital Refresh/Logo/Tech Needs - presented by Linda MacPherson
    • Does the board want to move forward with the latest version of the new logo?
    • Linda walked us through the process of how the congregation provided feedback to lead to the latest iteration of the logo. There are two versions, both of which could be used in different circumstances:
    • Motion to move forward to pay our graphic designer to come up with a branding package based on the current logo: Approved
    • The website is due for an update to Drupal9, with some urgency because of an inability to edit certain pages currently. Anders, Linda M, and Ari discussed and agreed upon a new theme (format/color scheme), which Anders will implement in the next few weeks. Content will be unchanged, except some pages like RE should get updated as soon as possible.
    • Maybe we will seek professional help on the website down the road
  • Chalice Lighter Grants
    • Daniale sent out an email to ask for needs that we may have around technology or other expenses that would warrant a grant application. 
      • Linda M and Jolanda came up with some ideas around equipment like better microphones.
    • We have $600 to spend on tech needs.
    • We should be thinking about what the transition back to a physical space will look like and our technology needs at that point (hybrid model). We could form a task force to look at that. 
      • We’ll continue this conversation via email and at the next meeting.
  • To Confirm when meeting in person:
    • Board:  
      • Meeting Notes April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
      • Endowment Committee Members
      • Board Discretionary Fund for Zoom License
      • Contract w/ Jolanda Walter
    • Congregation:  Annual Meeting Notes/voting
  • On Hold:
    • Ron would like time to discuss ordering rainbow chalice tees-- waiting until  logo is finalized.
    • GA2022:  will send an email via the newsletter to determine if anyone is interested in hosting any activity. Jolanda will get this started
  • Confirm Next Meeting Date: 1/5/20, 7pm


Respectfully submitted by Arianna Lambie, Secretary



The Membership committee has been busy helping Linda Burk gather food donations on 11/8 and get them delivered to Lilac Meadows. Diane I. and Tom P. helped Linda coordinate and get the food to the facility and the support from the congregation in supplying food was excellent.

Also on 11/8 myself and Linda B. participated in the Soul Circle worship service as readers and facilitators.

On 11/25 I delivered the last of the Thanksgiving blessing cards to HSC and at last count our congregation produced about 200 cards. This was an idea presented to Amber by Linda B. which was well received and allowed Wy'east to have some participation in the Thanksgiving feast prepared and delivered by the Neighborhood Gleaners. Additionally Linda suggested and with Daniale's approval Wy'east donated $400.00 to the Gleaners to help with food expense. Amber and the Gleaners were so grateful for this contribution as it allowed for the delivery of up to 400 dinners. I thank Linda B. for her gentle guidance in suggesting our involvement as this event has always been one of our major efforts in the care and compassion of our community.

For the month we have had three (5) visitors fill out our visitor form: Sally Stepath, Emily Stratman, Ari Yarwood., Amy Ladka and Mariah Springstead. Emily has expressed interest in attending the Path to Membership class but couldn't make our 11/22 offering due to other commitments. Mariah visited twice before filling out the form today and ask to get the church email's. I'll get her added right away. I try to invite all interested visitors to every PTM class and all visitors that provide their contact information get a thank you email from me and  Mabel.

Attendance varied from 37-40 with a high of 54 for Jack's service on 11/22.

Out telephone tree continues to reach out monthly to the congregation and Diane I. monitors our entries in the spread sheet.

The Chalice Circle meets on the regular schedule and has picked up two(2) new visitors: Kathleen O'Day and Kim Reid. Thanks Chandra and Jocelyn for your organizing and tech support.

The Friday morning coffee group has good steady attendance and with frequent visits by Craig. Thanks D'On for making  and keeping this going.


Ministers Report—12-20

1) Sermon preparation, newsletter columns, etc.  

2) Phone calls,  e-mails.  Pastoral calls, Zoom meetings with congregational members/leaders.  

3) Colleague consultation.

4) Martial arts and Spanish language study 

5) Kentucky UU/Muslim Book study group

6) Social Justice and Beloved Community in Abrahamic religious traditions symposium

 St. Andrews Methodist Church, Louisville, KY

7) Friday virtual “coffee hours”.

8) Lion King movie and discussion with Wy’east RE group.  

9) UUMUAC meetings 

10) 5th Principle Project meeting

11) Attended all Wy’east Sunday services