Board Meeting 9/12/2017
Board Meeting 9/12/17
Present: Bruce, Paul, Daniale, Mathias, D’on, Craig, Diane, Linda
Meeting called to order at 7:04
Membership Committee question and answer
- New members on the membership committee
- Cares and concerns will transition to more of a pastoral care model instead of just a card
How can we be more welcoming & how can we get people involved in volunteering?
- Looking at adjusting the physical layout at the front of HSC
- Getting more people involved in the running of the services--specifically the smaller tasks. Announcing periodically is a good idea, especially when extra need, like senior group. Volunteer coordinator? A pair of people to trade off duties (similar to ushering)?
- Should we adjust the name tag identification? For example, a “year you became a member” pin? Temporary name badges to help new folks get acquainted. Photos on the website.
Meeting Minutes-review and approval
- Minutes edited, D’on accepts, Mathias seconds, all move to accept
- We are currently slightly under budget and will keep an eye on pledges for the next month and make announcements as needed
Worship Committee Report
- New Order of Service, so far it’s gone well, and can be adjusted as needed
- More people turning out for service on music days
- The list of worship associates is growing
- Potential growth of Worship Committee Members
- Emailed to board prior to board meeting
- Picking up the Reed College group
- Added rallies to typical report
- Emailed timeline for logical progression of workshops
- Braille hymnals not necessarily a logical purchase, we can use software that can allow sight-impaired individuals to access the worship materials. This information should be available on the website.
Garage Sale Status
- Scheduled and moving forward nicely. 9/22 and 9/23. If anyone has items, can schedule w/ Bruce for a dropoff time.
Removal of Michael Andrade from the list of members, Letter to Ardis BayLaurael asking if she wishes to be removed.
- Michael Andrade: Bruce moves, Mathias seconds, motion carries.
- Ardis BayLaurael: communication via email with Daniale, communicating that she wishes to be removed from membership list. Bruce moves to remove, Paul seconds, motion carries.
- Signed and finalized
Strategic Planning Committee
- Slightly stalled at the moment, still searching for a chair.
- Making announcement via service and email to lay the groundwork to build the committee
Report on Board Development Day
- Three major planks of the day: Trust within congregations, Transitioning from contractual to covenantal congregation, Taking leadership as a board (clearly defined roles for Responsibility, Accountability, Consultants, and Informed members of the congregation)--building on the mission of the congregation
- Focus on how the board spends its time: according to the information presented the board should spend very little time on the “nitty gritty” and more time on the bigger picture items.
- Strong emphasis on looking at jobs list and defining the RACI roles.
- D’on will resign from the Board, and will take steps to make that official.
- Schedule Next Two Meetings’ Dates & Times
October 10th. Invite RE Nicole--Bruce will invite
Parking Lot: No additions
Bruce moves to adjourn, Paul seconds, all move to accept.
Meeting adjourned 8:31
Respectfully Submitted by Daniale Lynch