Board Minutes 2/13/2017

Board Meeting 2/14/2017

Present:

Board Members: Bruce, Barbara, D’On, Jane, Paul

Minister: Rev Craig Moro

Visitor: Linda B

●Meeting called to order at 7:04 pm.

●Membership Committee Report -- Linda

○The Membership and Engagement committees have merged. The members are Linda B, Diane I, Linda F, Chandra I, Justice T, and Diana S. Diana has agreed to be their secretary.

○They are in the process of learning about the tasks required to make Wy’east run and who has been doing them. Diane has put together a comprehensive document.

○The goal is to be a congregation that welcomes everyone. To that end they are editing the visitor contact card and developing a process to follow up with serious visitors to get them involved in Wy’east. People sometimes request name tags without filling out a visitor card. The committee is working with Barbara S to address the problem.

○The Path to Membership class on March 18 has 5 people registered. It will be held from 10 am to noon at Rose City Park Presbyterian church. Craig has asked that at least one board member attend, along with several people from the membership committee. The agenda includes:

■Introductions

■A short history of each person’s religious/spiritual journey

■Some UU history

■Unitarian Universalism today

■The meaning of membership

■Answers to any questions

■The board asked about pledge requests. Yes, we do this at Path to Membership classes.

○Diana, Chandra, and Linda B are contacting other UU congregations (Eastrose, Vancouver, Chandra’s previous church in Maine) to look at their procedures before deciding on a mission statement for the committee and establishing other procedures.

○Linda B will meet with Justice to discuss ideas about recruiting more teens.

○The committee’s next meeting is on 2/26. They plan to meet monthly.

○There was some inconclusive discussion of the role of the committee in the upcoming 20th Anniversary celebration.

●Meeting Minutes

○The corrected minutes of the board meeting on 1/10/2017 were posted in Googledocs prior to the meeting.

○Bruce moved the minutes be approved as corrected; Jane seconded. Approved unanimously.

●Treasurer’s Report

○The December and January treasurer’s reports were posted in Googledocs prior to the meeting.

●Review of draft FY 2018 budget

○A draft FY 2018 budget was posted in Googledocs prior to the meeting.

○The draft assumes the same income as this year with modest increases in some expense line items.

○The draft has a $9,670 deficit as written. Barbara suggests we want the FY18 deficit to be $4,000, half what it is this year.

○We’ll stick with the draft for expenses, but revise the pledge income to $74,000 (~8% increase).

○Message to congregation – fair compensation costs money, but is the right thing to do.

○D’On will produce a summary for sharing with the congregation for the canvass.

●Web site upgrade

○The board agreed to stay with our current hosting arrangement for now.

●Minister’s Report○

  • Most items on the report are pretty routine. We will skip discussing them in the interests of time.
  • Craig has had an inquiry from a student at Starr King regarding an internship with us in the fall.
    • He contacted Craig
    • He’s in his 3rd year at Starr King
    • To move ahead we need an interview team and an internship committee of 5 people who would meet with him a couple of times a month.
    • He’d also be reporting to someone at Starr King and at the MFC.
    • He may need a fair amount of attention.
    • Are we in a position to provide what he would need from us?
    • He could add youth, sermons,
    • Worship Committee likes the idea.
    • Craig will have lunch with him on Sunday and can get a better sense of him and what his needs will be.

●D’On moved and Bruce seconded that we certify Craig to be Wy’east’s ministerial delegate to the Pacific Northwest district Annual Meeting. Approved unanimously. Barbara will take care of the certification online. (Done.)

●Budget for Charter Sunday Anniversary celebration. Bruce moved and D’On seconded that we authorize up to $250 for Charter Sunday Anniversary expenses, which line item to charge the expenses to be determined later. Approved unanimously.

●20th Anniversary planning update:

○Sarah S will take the lead in the service.

○5 people have volunteered for party planning.

○Barbara is handling publicity. First thing is an article for the upcoming newsletter. (Done.)

○Seniors want to help. Jane and Barbara propose asking them to contact people to issue invitations.

○The timeline went well last Sunday. We will repeat.

 

●Wy’east phone: we need someone to check for messages at least once a week. Bruce will approach Barbara D to see if she will take it on or can suggest someone who will.

 

●Harold has agreed to chair the Canvass Committee this year. Thank you, Harold! We need at least one more member. Bruce will ask Matt, Lana, Aurora

 

●There was a Chalice Circle organizing meeting last Sunday. We’ll be starting up a couple of circles soon. Lana is writing an article for the newsletter. Craig will be meeting regularly with the leaders once he has moved to Portland.

●Next meetings:

○March 14, 2017 and April 11, 2017 at 7 pm at RCPP.

○Barbara will submit something for the newsletter. (Done.)

●Meeting adjourned at 9:06 pm

Respectfully Submitted,

Barbara Smith-Thomas, Secretary

Date: 
Thursday, April 13, 2017